Thank you to everyone who came to our Bingo night. Over £200 raised!

Wirksworth Junior School

Home Page

SEN (Special Educational Needs)

Wirksworth Junior School
Special Educational Needs Information Report

At Wirksworth Junior School we are committed to providing the best possible education for all children, whatever their needs or abilities. Working in partnership with parents and other agencies, we hope to identify and provide an education which recognises and supports the needs of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in order for them to achieve their potential.
Our school offer sets out the support and services which are available and how we will work with parents to ensure their child receives the best possible education.

We hope the information provided below will answer any questions you have regarding our provision for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, but if there is any further information you require, you can contact:

Your child’s class teacher, who is responsible for:
Monitoring the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need in liaison with the Special educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). 

writing Individual Education plans (IEPs) with the advice of the SENCO and sharing these with you twice yearly. 


Ensuring that all staff, including any outside professionals, are working with your child are helped to deliver the planned programme.   

Ensuring that the SEND policy is followed in their classroom.


The SENCO, who is responsible for:

Co-ordinating all support for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND policy to ensure that all children receive consistent, high quality support. 

Ensuring that you are kept informed of the support your child is receiving and that you are involved in reviewing your child’s learning and how to support them at home. 

Updating the school’s SEND records and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.  

Organising specialist support for teachers and support staff in school so that they can help your child achieve the best possible progress.

The Headteacher, who is responsible for:
The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the support for children with SEND. 

Overseeing the roles of the SENCO, class teachers and teaching assistants to ensure that your child’s needs are met. 

Informing the governing body about any issues in school relating to SEND.
The SEND governor, who is responsible for:
Ensuring, through Headteacher delegation, that all teachers are aware of the importance of provision for SEND pupils. 

Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child with SEND.
The named governor for SEND is Lesley Winson who can be contacted via the Governors Email -

Provision for children with SEND at Wirksworth Junior School

Our provision for children with SEND is varied and always tailored to the needs of the individual child. Primarily, our focus is on providing excellent targeted teaching in the classroom. This means that we have:
High expectations for your child and all pupils in the class.  Teaching which builds on what your child already knows in order to celebrate their successes. 

Careful monitoring to track your child’s progress and to identify where extra support is needed. 

Specific strategies identified by the SENCO or outside agencies which can be built into classroom practice.
Sometimes, specific work with a smaller group of children is beneficial, in which case your child may:
Work on targeted activities in the class, supported by the class teacher. 

Work on targeted activities in the class, supported by the teaching assistant. 

Work on targeted activities outside the class, supported by the class teacher, teaching assistant, SENCO or other professionals.
If specialist support is identified as being necessary to support your child’s learning, we work with several outside agencies in order to provide the right educational support for them.

These agencies include the Support Service for Special Educational Needs (SSSEN), the educational psychologist, the speech and language service, occupational health and the Behaviour Support Service (BSS).

They may also be involved to respond to any worries or concerns you may have about your child. 
If outside agencies are considered to be appropriate to ask for support, you will:
Be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward. 

Be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional in order to better understand your child’s area of need.
For your child this would mean:

The specialist support will work with them to understand their needs and make recommendations. 

Targets are set following the advice of the specialist professional.
Your child will receive targeted support in the classroom, in small groups or possibly on a one to one basis.

This may be delivered by the specialist, or by school staff supported by the specialist professionals.
You will always be informed of the support your child is receiving and who is working with them through IEP reviews.

Education, Health and Care Plans 
If your child has been identified as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support, they may be referred to the local authority for a more formal assessment, which may lead to your child being given an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

This document is compiled in collaboration with you, the school and outside specialist agencies and is designed to provide your child with the specific targeted support they need to make the best possible progress. In these circumstances:
You may be asked to write a report outlining your child’s needs, providing the local authority with all the information they need to decide whether your child’s needs require a statutory assessment. This may include medical records, evidence from school, evidence from outside agencies and where appropriate evidence from social care. 

Entering into a legal process that will set out the support which will be provided for your child. When the Local Authority have looked at all the evidence they will decide if your child’s needs are severe and complex enough to need an EHC plan or if they can continue to be supported by the school.

If your child is given an Education, Health and Care Plan this will mean they will be given very specific targets by specialists in the local authority. 

Your child will receive a specified number of hours of support.

This may be within the class, in withdrawal groups or on a one to one basis and may be provided by staff in school or outside specialists.  In some cases an additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning.

This type of support is available for children whose needs are severe, complex and lifelong.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child?

The partnership between parents and school is crucial in ensuring your child makes progress and fulfils their potential.

We monitor the progress of all the children in our school very carefully and use thorough formative assessment to identify the next steps in learning.

We share this with parents in a number of ways including Home School Link Books, parents’ evenings and end of year reports. If we have a specific concern about your child we will request a meeting with you as soon as possible. 
If you have a concern you are always welcome to make an appointment to talk to the class teacher, the SENCO or the Head.
 How is extra support allocated?

The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Headteacher decides on the budget allocation in consultation with the school governors and on the basis of needs within school. 

In collaboration with the SENCO and class teachers, the Headteacher will decide what resources, training and support are needed.

This is reviewed regularly and changes are made where necessary.
Who are the other people providing SEND support at Wirksworth Junior School ?
The following professionals and agencies are available to provide support in school where it has been deemed necessary:
Derbyshire Support Service for Special Education Needs (SSSEN)                      School nurse  Occupational therapy 

                 Speech and language therapy  Physiotherapy 

                                 Educational  psychology 

               Services for children with visual or hearing needs 

                     Derbyshire behaviour Support Service
How are the teachers in school being helped to work with my child and what training do they have?
The SENCO’s role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND. 

The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND.

This includes whole school training on SEND where necessary. 

Teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.
How will the teaching be adapted for my child?
All lessons in our school are carefully planned to meet the specific needs of all groups of children. 

Teachers work closely with specialists to adapt planning where necessary. 

Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. 

Planning is adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet the learning needs of your child.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
Class teachers continually monitor the progress of all the children in their class. 

Your child’s progress is reviewed at least half termly against the attainment targets set out in the National Curriculum (years 3 to 6).   If your child is in Year 3 or above, but is not yet working towards the expected standards in the National Curriculum, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which will show smaller but significant steps of progress.

These levels are called ‘P levels’. 

At the end of year 6, all children are formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are
published nationally.

Sometimes these tests are not appropriate for your child, in which case they may be ‘disapplied’ from sitting the test and teacher assessment is used instead.

In other instances, children with SEND may be given extra time or have other arrangements put in place to support them through the testing process. 

The individual targets set for your child as part of their Individual Education Plan will be reviewed, with your involvement, at least twice yearly.

A new plan will then be made. 

The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an annual review.

You will be invited to attend the annual review with all the adults involved in your child’s education.
What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?
The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have.

We understand the partnership with parent is crucial in order to share information about what is working well at home and school. 

The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have. 

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you.  

Individual Education Plans will be reviewed with your involvement at least twice a year.
 We can give you details of agencies and support services which are available to provide you with advice and information.

How is Wirksworth Junior School accessible to children with SEND?

We aim to make our school as accessible as we can to all children and make every effort to adapt our teaching areas to accommodate any child who came to the school with mobility difficulties. 

We ensure that equipment used in school is accessible to all our pupils. 

All extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving on to another class?
We understand that moving between schools or classes can be a big step for all children including those with SEND. As a school we do all we can to make this transition as easy as possible for our children. 
If your child is moving to another school:


We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. 

We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. 

If necessary we can make arrangements for your child to visit their new school on several occasions.
When moving classes in school:

Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. 

All IEPs and other records will be shared with the new teacher and the first set of targets will be set in collaboration with you, the new teacher and the previous teacher.

Special Needs Information Report